Settled in the 1780’s North Sydney was one of the largest shipbuilding center in the early 19th century building many wooden ships. Around 1860’s the demand for wooden ships decreased but the port saw an increase in steamships arriving for coal. By the 1870’s North Sydney was the fourth largest port in Canada. In 1898 the port was picked by the Reid-Newfound Land company to be the mainland terminal for the ferry service to Newfound Land. The terminal is still in operation bringing goods by boat and truck to Newfoundland.